The Gramophone guide to the best Handel recordings
Handel is one of the giants of musical history – a great man in physical stature, spirit and vision. His is happy, confident, melodic music imbued with the grace of the Italian vocal school, an easy fluency in German contrapuntal writing and the English choral tradition inherited from Purcell. Read full biography.
More on Handel...
The Mysteries, Myths and Truths about Mr Handel, by David Vickers
How Mozart loved Handel, by Lindsay Kemp
Conducting Handel, by Paul McCreesh
Directing Handel, by Peter Sellars
Handel conquers London, by Richard Wigmore
Handel – 10 Essential Recordings
New to Handel? Here's a list of the top 10 recordings to help start your collection...
- Messiah – Soloists; Dunedin Consort / John Butt
- Water Music – The English Concert / Trevor Pinnock
- Aria Collections – Ciofi; DiDonato; Il Complesso Barocco / Alan Curtis
- Coronation Anthems – The Sixteen / Harry Christophers
- Giulio Cesare – Soloists; Concerto Köln / René Jacobs
- Fireworks Music – Ensemble Zefiro / Alfredo Bernardini
- Dixit Dominus – Soloists; Les Musiciens du Louvre / Marc Minkowski
- Rinaldo – Soloists; Academy of Ancient Music / Christopher Hogwood
- Concerti grossi – Avison Ensemble / Pavlo Beznosiuk
- Ariodante – Soloists; Il Complesso Barocco / Alan Curtis
Building your Collection
Select a musical category below to explore the finest Handel recordings available.
Orchestral Chamber Instr. Vocal Opera
More Gramophone Composer Guides