Mahler is the last great Romantic symphonist, music conceived on the grandest scale and employing elaborate forces. He wanted to express his view of the human condition, to set down his lofty ideals about Life, Death and the Universe. 'My symphonies represent the contents of my entire life.' Read the full biography.
More on Mahler...
The world's leading Mahler conductors introduce his 10 symphonies and Das Lied von der Erde:
Mahler – 10 Essential Recordings
New to Mahler? Here's a list of the top 10 recordings to help start your collection...
- Symphony No 5 – Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Rattle
- Das Lied von der Erde – Ludwig; Wunderlich; Philharmonia Orchestra / Klemperer
- Symphony No 9 – Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Karajan
- Des Knaben Wunderhorn – Schwarzkopf; Fischer-Dieskau; LSO / Szell
- Symphony No 1 – Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra / Kubelík
- Symphony No 4 – Staatskapelle Dresden / Sinopoli
- Symphony No 2 – London Philharmonic Orchestra / Jurowski
- Symphony No 8 – London Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra / Tennstedt
- Song-cycles – Baker; Hallé; New Philharmonia / Barbirolli
- Symphony No 7 – Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Abbado
Building your Collection
Select a musical category below to explore the finest Mahler recordings available.
More Gramophone Composer Guides