Schubert's Winterreise still has the power to shock and move us today. Richard Wigmore talks to some of today’s leading performers of the song cycle - including Ian Bostridge, Mark Padmore, Brigitte Fassbaender, Gerald Finley, Christoph Prégardien and Jonas Kaufmann – to explore the power this masterpiece continues to have on today’s audiences. Also in the January issue:
● Michael Tilson Thomas speaks to Richard S Ginell about his two decades with the San Francisco Symphony and his ambitious plans for the future
● The New York Philharmonic’s Music Director, Alan Gilbert, talks to Andrew Mellor about the fascinating score to Nielsen’s Fifth Symphony
● David Patrick Stearns looks back at the remarkable career of American soprano Leontyne Price, one of the great Verdi singers of the 20th century
● James McCarthy looks at the breakthrough works of one of the most popular and frequently performed composers of our time: John Adams
● Gramophone Collection: David Gutman recommends the most exceptional recordings of Rachmaninov’s Symphony No 2
The January issue is on general sale now. If you would like to subscribe to Gramophone, the world's leading classical music magazine, choose an option below:
Subscribe to the Gramophone Digital Edition.
Subscribe to Gramophone Magazine.
Join the Gramophone Club.