ARD 4000 System

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ARD 4000 System

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Hi Fi manufacture from the 1970s called ARD (Audio Research and Development) as I have been given a Tuner and Amp from the ARD 4000 system and I'm trying to find out a bit of history about it. I have found this and thats about all i can find http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/February%201977/117/863417/ARD+4000+system

Thanks

Garry

RE: ARD 4000 System

Garry wrote:

I have found this and thats about all i can find http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/February%201977/117/863417/ARD+4000+system

I wonder if "the retail price is around £15750" is an OCR error?  That would be about £75,000 today (based on RPI) - or around £125,000 (based on increase in average earnings) - which seems rather a lot!  (Unfortunately, since the withdrawal of the PDF versions of the pages, it's now impossible to check what the original actually says.)

"Audio Research and Development" doesn't appear ever to have been a limited company name, according to a quick check at Companies House.  There was an A.R.D. Limited, with a registered office in Horsham, which is not too far from Camberley (the registered office address seems to have been used by several companies, so may be that of  an accountancy firm, or similar), but that was dissolved in 1998.

"Louder! Louder! I can still hear the singers!"

- Richard Strauss to the orchestra, at a rehearsal.

RE: ARD 4000 System

I used to work for ARD when I was at school in 1976-78. The company belonged to my (then) girlfriend's father. It was run from the top floor of their house in Camberley. I used to work there with a friend on Sunday mornings assembling and testing both the ARD 4000 and the older ARD 2000 which I still have working!

I took the publicity photographs reproduced in the Gramaphone archive as I was a keen amateur photographer and although I then went on to train as a geologist I in fact became a commercial photographer which is what I still do. I still have those original negatives of the product shots that were lit with anglepoise lamps in a bedroom! That was my first paid photographic commission!

Hope this adds a bit to the history!

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019