New Speakers for HK 3700

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Speakers for HK 3700

Hello Everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here. I really like classical music and now I thought it's time for an upgrade on my sound system. I'm a bit on a budget here, but I recently got a Harman Kardon HK 3700 for a very good price off a friend. I guess it is a pretty solid amplifier. Now I'm looking for some suitable speakers. I have a small flat with two rooms. So I don't have s much space for some big, fancy speakers. Over the weekend I did some search online and had a look at a few models on common trusted websites for classified ads reading there reviews. I found some cheap speakers for under $250: Cerwin Vega XD5, MartinLogan Motion 4 Bookshelf Speaker, Yamaha NS-333 and Audiongine A2+. The Cerwin and MartinLogan are available for under $200, which would be good my my wallet. So my questions is, which one to pick? Any suggestions? Anybody here owns one of the above models and can tell me more about them? And, even more importandly, are there any issues with the HK 3700? I'm not a tech guy, so any feedback is highly appreciated. Regards. GRA.

Somehow the format of my

Somehow the format of my initial post got messed up. Is there a way to edit it afterwards?

edits and speakers

For some obscure reason the software does not allow you to edit the first post in a thread, unfortunately. The HK3700 is absolutely fine for your purpose. It has enough power for a small flat, and it includes digital inputs. It is good enough for even the best small speakers money can buy, like the Harbeth P3ESR.

Your problem is that there are very many small and affordable speakers, but also many horrible sounding shouty ones that are designed to impress in the demo room, but will fatigue in real use. Personally I have always been impressed by the Wharfedale Diamond series in its subsequent incarnations. Right now, the model to go for would be the Diamond 220. The Audioengine 2+ is an active speaker and you do not need that (you already have an amplifier), so that is wasted money.

Willem

speakers

Hi Graham, welcome to the club.

I have read very positive comments about the Martin Logans. Try searching for reviews of them, and the other makes as well.

correction

I am afraid I have to correct myself about the HK3700: it does not have optical or coaxial inputs (only the HK3770 does). It will connect to a network, however. Even so, it is a nice receiver, and powerful enough for your situation.

Willem

Thanks for the quick response

Thanks for the quick response.

@Willem:
The Diamond 220? I checked them out. They are about $350. But the 210 go for $100 bucks less. Is there a big difference?

@ocratesgwr:
Martin Logans 4, eh. The reviews are quite good so far.

wharfedales

Sorry I am not always aware of US prices. In Europe the Wharfedale Diamonds are an excellent buy. I have not compared the 210 and the 22 directly. The difference would be a rather more extended low frequency response for the 220. We have a set of Diamond 9.0's as bedroom speakers (predecessors of the 210s), and they are very pleasant, but do lack a bit in bass. That is fine in the bedroom, and used close to a wall, but in a marginally larger room, and with a bit more space behind the speaker, I think the 220 is the better buy. How big is the room?

Willem

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

The older Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (a predecessor of the 220) still sells for $250 in the US, I see. Unless your room is very small, it is probably a better buy for the same money than the current small 210.

Willem

test

No editing seems possible at all anymore. So here is an additional post with the Stereophile test, where, as usual, it is the measurements that tell the real story (not that there is a mismatch this time between the listening tests and the measurements). http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-101-loudspeaker#CJ...

Willem

Sorry to be a bother but I'm new here and cannot see how to start a new topic.  I'm looking for a specific 78 recording about which I have very little information. I'm inquiring here because this is an active thread.  Can someone please tell me how I start a new topic in the appropriate section of the forum so I can make inquiry?  Thanks.

new thread

It was hard to find, but you can still do it. So I just created a new thread for this.

Willem

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018