Proms 2012

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Proms 2012

Just a thought the Proms are on during the Olympic Games it is going to be murder to go to anything during that period, so I'll listen to them on the radio this year instead.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach.

Music is the poetry of the air. ~Richter.

troyen1 wrote:

Must say that I am disappointed in the response. Perhaps, the Proms, as a thread, will be revived nearer the time or are posters happier talking about music on CD?

Troyen, Mission Control & I had the first of our regular Proms planning meetings last night (i.e. she bought the guide, hurled it in my direction and said "You owe me a fiver"). The next stage is that we look at it separately, each marks their own choices under 'umissable' 'would really like to see' and 'might be nice if there's nothing on telly'. Notes are then compared, an agreement is reached - possibly following the intervention of one or other of the emergency services and mutual questioning of each other's sanity - and a list for booking is arrived at.

That's when (see previous post) the fun begins. 

On a very quick glance, it looks as though there are no 'unmissables' in the main Olympics period, which is just as well since current plans are to exit stage left anyway, since I really can't face the prospect of trudging into Central London every day and then trecking out to Kensington amidst hordes of beach volleyball fans.

Once negotiations have commenced in earnest, I'll post what we are booking for. What we'll get is another question entirely.

JKH

troyen1 wrote:

Must say that I am disappointed in the response. Perhaps, the Proms, as a thread, will be revived nearer the time or are posters happier talking about music on CD?

I guess it all depends on where you live. My assumption is the Gramophone boards are international, so on occasion the topics might only be meaningful for some members. Foe me, if I am lucky, I'll be able to listen to some on iplayer - it takes a lot to make a 4000 mile round trip for a concert!

Naupilus

naupilus wrote:

troyen1 wrote:

I guess it all depends on where you live. My assumption is the Gramophone boards are international, so on occasion the topics might only be meaningful for some members. Foe me, if I am lucky, I'll be able to listen to some on iplayer - it takes a lot to make a 4000 mile round trip for a concert!

What! And miss 3, yes three, Vaughan Williams symphonies in one concert in one evening!?

4000 miles is a short distance in comparison to a lifetimes chance which is, unlikely, to be repeated.

And it's Manze at the helm!

The Olympics are on one side of town, the Proms on the other and will go on long after the Lympics are a faded memory (unless, of course, there is a major 'incident').

Fortunately, I'm on the right side of town but thought I might leave the planet to avoid the Jubbly and Limpiks. It is the only way.

troyen1 wrote:

Fortunately, I'm on the right side of town but thought I might leave the planet to avoid the Jubbly and Limpiks. It is the only way.

Agreed - see you at the NASA departure lounge. I'll be the one trying to get on with the Oyster card.

JKH

RE: Proms 2012 RE: Proms 2012

troyen1 wrote:

I'd love to talk about the Proms first hand. But even in a non-Olympic/Jubilee year the 10,000 mile round trip is less of a deterent than the dosshouse-standard-at-palace-prices style of hotel accomodation when you get there.

troyen1 wrote:

What! And miss 3, yes three, Vaughan Williams symphonies in one concert in one evening!?

4000 miles is a short distance in comparison to a lifetimes chance which is, unlikely, to be repeated. And it's Manze at the helm!

The Olympics are on one side of town, the Proms on the other and will go on long after the Lympics are a faded memory (unless, of course, there is a major 'incident').

I am sure somebody else would make much better use of a ticket to the VW triple concert than me. Now if they were putting on Nono's Prometheus I might be talking to the family!

Where I currently live/work (Rio de Janeiro) we have a very poor diet of live classical music, for many reasons. There is an interest cello festival every year and once in a while an orchestra on tour but I am rather jealous of Sao Paulo, where they have a very good orchestra and have just Marin Alsop to take it up a notch. But while we don't have the Proms, we have Carnaval... to paraphrase the great Alex Ferguson, 'Samba... bloody hell!'

And as for the future, in the next four years we get the World Cup and the Olympics. Hopefully we'll still be here to see both, although I suspect my wife would rather be based somewhere else by 2016.

Naupilus

There's always a curious sense of deflation when you've geared yourself up for a marathon billious rant and it turns out that everything goes smoothly. At the stroke -literally - of 9 this morning, I logged on to the Proms booking site, confidently expecting a cheery message informing me that I was 4000th+ in the queue and advising me not to let my eyes stray from the screen for the next three hours. For the last 3 years, I think my highest position when booking opened has been 3500th. But lo and behold, I was 100th in line, and 6 minutes later had got all performances and seats asked for.

I have posted this fundamentally uninteresting, if not downright boring, news in the spirit of joy, world peace and repentance (or something like that) 

JKH

Would you care to expand on this?

Scott

AS Lawson wrote:

Would you care to expand on this?

Scott

To whom is this addressed? If it's to my post, then the answer is no, I don't feel any need to 'expand'.

JKH

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018