Proms 2012

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Proms 2012

JKH wrote:

AS Lawson wrote:

Would you care to expand on this?

Scott

To whom is this addressed? If it's to my post, then the answer is no, I don't feel any need to 'expand'.

Clearly, you left out a lot of detail.

Well done, by the way!

troyen1 wrote:

JKH wrote:

AS Lawson wrote:

Scott

To whom is this addressed? If it's to my post, then the answer is no, I don't feel any need to 'expand'.

Well done, by the way!

Yes, it's difficult to know what other similarly boring details I could have fleshed it out with, Troyen.

And thanks - now all I have to do is not stage a repeat of the multiple cock-ups of last year which included: turning up without the tickets for one concert, doing the same for another concert and then finding out at teh box office that we hadn't in fact booked for it in the first place, and turning up for one concert with the tickets for another one. This give Mission Control considerable ammo in the caustic remarks territory, and I confidently expect the incidents to be referred to in the coming weeks.

I blamed the unseasonal weather and unusual sunspot activity, but I don't think it worked. 

JKH

JKH wrote:

troyen1 wrote:

JKH wrote:

AS Lawson wrote:

Scott

Well done, by the way!

Yes, it's difficult to know what other similarly boring details I could have fleshed it out with, Troyen.

And thanks - now all I have to do is not stage a repeat of the multiple cock-ups of last year which included: turning up without the tickets for one concert, doing the same for another concert and then finding out at teh box office that we hadn't in fact booked for it in the first place, and turning up for one concert with the tickets for another one. This give Mission Control considerable ammo in the caustic remarks territory, and I confidently expect the incidents to be referred to in the coming weeks.

I blamed the unseasonal weather and unusual sunspot activity, but I don't think it worked. 

Do you live close to RAH?

It is a train ride away for me although I live at the end of a tube line.

Not that I could pop home if I brought the wrong tickets to a concert or no tickets at all!

Hi JKH! If it makes you feel any better, the box office themselves do make the odd mess up! Like the time a couple of years ago where I paid on the phone, booked a hotel, had a three hour journey down and the ticket was not there ready for me at the box office. Thankfully the girl printed out a duplicate for me.

Tagalie has reminded me - how could I forget - that with the Olympics it's going to be well-nigh impossible to get a 'palatially priced dosshouse', between 27 July and 12 August. I think those are the Olympics dates, aren't they?

Well there's lots I fancy, but I think I am going to go for proms 50 - 53:

Nielsen symphony 5 (Prom 50)
Shostakovitch symphony 7 (51)
Prokofiev's Cinderella (52)
and a nice sounding late night Prom 53 called Italian Vespers 1612
Prom 54 Shostakovitch symphony 10 even

Two crackers unfortunately fall in the Olympics window - Prom 35 of Sibelius symphonies 3 and 6, and Prom 46 of the three VW symphonies.

Shall have to play it by ear as they say...but those proms as I say look the best bet for me...at the moment anyway.

Mark

PS Naupilus - the Sao Paolo orchestra are doing Dvorak's New World amongst other things  - Prom 45 Wed 15th August.

Fraz Jo - disapntd. Bn ringin this grl al week. No ansr...looks lke she changed her mnd. O well...Ldwg...

Shostakovich's 10 has become a Prom favourite.

It was only a few years back that Dudamel debuted with his Simon Bolivars in the work.

Apologies for that last post which at least proves that my IT abilities are sometimes indistinguishable from my ticket-remembering skills.

JKH

No worries!

I think I'm definitely out for that Olympic period then, because apart from the no room at the inn problem that tube warning sounds horrendous. It was bad enough one year when my hotel was in the Bayswater area and the Notting Hill Carnival was on. Re-routing and certain tube stations closed etc...

And as Troyen says, God forbid and hopefully not, if there is some kind of 'incident' during the greatest sports show.

(JKH - Apologies if I'm teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but make a note on a separate piece of paper of your booking reference numbers and have that on you at all times! That way if a ticket gets forgotten you should be able to get a duplicate printed out at the box office).
Mark

Fraz Jo - disapntd. Bn ringin this grl al week. No ansr...looks lke she changed her mnd. O well...Ldwg...

partsong wrote:

(JKH - Apologies if I'm teaching my granny how to suck eggs, but make a note on a separate piece of paper of your booking reference numbers and have that on you at all times! That way if a ticket gets forgotten you should be able to get a duplicate printed out at the box office).
Mark

No apology necessary at all, Mark. In fact they usually come up trumps if you show them the credit card the tickets were booked with. I'm thinking of a cunning plan to baffle them by turning up with tickets for the wrong year, but suspect I'll get short shrift from Mission Control.

It's a great pity that Kauffman has cried off from the Trojans run - that was the first 'must have' ticket we put down on this year's shopping list. You've always got to feel sorry for the replacement in such circumstances. I remember eagerly awaiting a Proms Song of the Earth some years ago, only for Siegfried Jerusalem to cry off at the last minute and be replaced by Jeffrey Lawton, who sang well but it was an uphill struggle for him to win over a disappointed audience.

There's always the very occasional result the other way - some 20-plus years ago there was an ENO performance of Lohengrin (or was it Parsifal?) where the tenor cried off and no substitute was available. Strangely, Siegfried Jerusalem was in town and stood in for one performance at the last minute, singing in German while the rest of the cast sang in English. Unfortunately I had decided against going - ho hum.

JKH

Hi JKH/Chris:

Yes we do sometimes get replacements. As I said on the Beethoven Triple Concerto thread, I stayed the night after Brian's Gothic last year to hear the Beethoven Triple expecting Martha Argerich who I heard 2/3 years ago at the Proms playing the Ravel (the one for both hands!). Sadly she was taken ill at the last moment and the stand-in pianist was Frank Braley with the Capucon brothers. I think he must be an up and coming pianist, lke Ashley Wass that I heard at a lunchtime Cadogan Hall recital also as part of the proms.

Anyway it was nice to promenade for the Beethoven triple - lying on your back in the arena gazing up at what I call the mushrooms in the RAH. I have often promenaded, and prefer the balcony. Great view and lots of room. Some of the student types up there lie down and catch up on their reading while listening, but I am not a multi-tasker! Sadly at the tender age of 50 next time a bit of the old sciatica at times and back pain means I have graduated as a rule to a comfy seat!

I usually visit at least once if not twice each summer and sometimes Hildegard accompanies me. She gave it a miss last year but is hinting for this summer. That's why I like to pick 2 or 3 nights together where the programme looks good.

Once got to the last night - a while ago now in 1989. Sir John Pritchard. I managed that with the five arena ticket stubs but they do of course have to be all from either the arena or the balcony. No mix and match. I think it has now increased to six.

It was a great experience having grown up eagerly watching it on TV. All you could see from up there was a mass of flags, but very nice when everyone starts the bobbing up and down routine to Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance.

Having done the last night once in my life I'm not in a rush to do it again mind!

Mark

JKH wrote:

troyen1 wrote:

Fortunately, I'm on the right side of town but thought I might leave the planet to avoid the Jubbly and Limpiks. It is the only way.

Agreed - see you at the NASA departure lounge. I'll be the one trying to get on with the Oyster card.

They'll take Oyster!?

BA won't.

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018