The Sixteen's Choral Pilgrimage 2012

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Sixteen's Choral Pilgrimage 2012

Well a splendid performance last night in my local cathedral by The Sixteen of works by Josquin, Brumel and Lassus on their 2012 choral pilgrimage 'The Earth Resounds'.

The two movements from Brumel's 12-voice Missa Et ecce terraemotus (known as the 'Earthquake Mass') were extraordinary, and a new name to me. The three Josquin pieces were excellent too, especially the concert opener Praeter rerum seriem (Outside the natural order) which had a really arresting  technique explained in the programme notes whereby the notes of the tune were massively elongated in the motet's first half, gradually becoming less so as the piece proceeded.

The Josquin had some bone-trembling moments of beauty in it. Parla I know you like Lassus' tense polyphony as you once described it - I found the Lassus more earthy. Appropriate though in a set called The Earth Resounds.

As William Shakespeare would have said, 'A finer sound in Christendom there is none good sire I warrant thee'.

Anyone on this fair isle can catch them still - they're about halfway through the tour, and still to play Manchester Bridgewater Hall, York Minster, Ealing Abbey, Wells and Durham Cathedrals. Highly recommended.

('The Earth Resounds' CD is reviewed on page 81 of June's issue by Fabrice Fitch).

Mark

Fraz Jo - disapntd. Bn ringin this grl al week. No ansr...looks lke she changed her mnd. O well...Ldwg...

RE: The Sixteen's Choral Pilgrimage 2012

Sounds like a great concert Mark. Only the concert opener is familiar to me, and I've never heard any of Brumel's music.  I agree with you about the 'earthiness' of much of Lassus' music. Probably it's not coincidence that he often chose popular songs as the bases for his mass settings!

Unfortunately I'm too far away to attend any of the concerts but the CD sounds interesting.

Chris

Chris A.Gnostic

Antoine Brumel is a very considerable composer of the period, with some truly extraordinary and beautiful music.

There are at least three CDs which can help to appreciate his music:

- A full CD, dedicated to some of his main works (Missa et ecce terra motus, Lamentations and Magnificat), by the Tallis Scholars, on Gimell.

- An equally good CD, almost all dedicated to Brumel's music, by the Hilliard Ensemble, on Coro hilliard live and

- Another full CD with the less known Missa de Beata Vergine (plus some minor works), on Naxos.

Good exploration.

Parla

Choral Pilgramage 2013

I have been along to a performance in this series - loved it.

Wonderful music, and nice to be able to pick up a few CD's from a table at the back afterwards.

Although I recall finding it somewhat irritating to realise that some of the CD's being sold could perhaps have been cheaper to buy online when you get home! Fortunately if you stick to the more recent ones and buy a couple it isnt too bad a deal, but I would suggest people check what price the group are selling particular albums for online on their own site before they attend. I seem to remember the "special price" for purchasing two may have been not far off what it would cost to buy two online, worse if you buy one at a live performance, and some back catalogue seemed much cheaper online (if my memory serves me correctly)

I would rather hope that the group give the best prices to those loyal enough to turn out and see them live, rather than online.

I’m looking
forward to go to the Carlisle concert. Though the webpage which sales the
tickets Is not working as it should. Have anyone experienced this?

I have
heard the Sixteen singing Palestrina, Buxtehude, Bach, and Victoria. (I
encourage everyone to see the BBC documentary God’s composer. 

Calígula CISF

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018