How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

I have a collection of 1,200 classical CDs. The collection, which includes many boxed sets, is mostly Baroque to early Romantic and has little 20th century music; it's particularly strong in opera, Bach keyboard music, the chamber music of Haydn, Mozart, Schubert lieder, and the great classical symphonies from 1780 to 1840.

As a result of downsizing I no longer have space to store them, and I'd like to find them a good home and recover a fair proportion of the sizeable investment made in them.

I've looked at shops in London that buy second-hand music CDs, and the prices offered seem measly compared with the prices they charge for selling the same CD on to someone else.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to cut out the middle man? I'd be very grateful for any advice you can offer.

RE: How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

To be honest, I don't think you are likely to recoup much of your original "investment"..........second-hand prices are just too low on the internet.

....but you could try www.musicmagpie.co.uk, if the CDs are in good condition and you are prepared to work through each CD, one by one. You enter the barcode on the CD and it offers you a price. You send the CDs, then receive a cheque.

The downside is that you will, as I said, have to work through your collection one by one and also the prices can been very, very low. Sometimes, however, the prices are quite generous and it is never easy to predict what they will offer until you enter the barcode. Sifting through some of my old stuff to see what prices I could get, I found some CDs were being offered around £3, while others were getting 40p. In the end, I sent off the best 10 priced CDs (for a modest cheque) and dropped the rest at a charity shop.

In addition, if you are prepared to do a lot of work listing all the titles, you can stick them on ebay........maybe you could try a bulk buy offer of some kind. 

Alternatively, you might try "Parla" - a member on this site. He is one of the world's great collectors and claims to have over 40,000 recordings. He buys a 100 a month - minimum. 1200 CDs will be nothing for him to order in one go. Why not see if he is interested? I am not sure of his mailing address, but I believe it is somewhere in Never Never Land.......

While at a concert recently the car of a friend wth whom I had gone to the concert was broken into. There were about ten CDs easily visible in the car, but not one of them was aken. That tells you all you need to know about the resale value of CDs. 

Thanks -once more- for another offensive post, eliza. Anyway, it won't spoil your "charm" as how I see you...

I trust you know that consistent collectors do not borrow nor lend any item of or for their collection. In the same vein, they don't buy used products, but only in very exceptional cases and provided the second hand collectible is in the best possible condition.

As for you, timkil, I'm afraid there is no easy way out for your situation, particularly if you're in a hurry to get rid of your collection. Charity may be the only option. However, I doubt who could manage such a collection, if he/she is not truly and deeply interested in Classical Music. Most unfortunately, since internet created this virtual collection thing of Youtube, Spotify and so on, CDs look as an obsolete way of playback music.

In the same way, it is also unfortunate that there is not yet a sort of active "Library" or "Museum" (organising "programs" for "audiences" to listen to various performances of many CDs on the same work or focusing on a composer's opus etc.), where collectors could donate their (or part of) their collection (at a certain amount as a sort of compensation).

Parla

tjh212@yahoo.com

Great mystery. I don't know it. My best bet would have been J C Bach - very, very similar - but I just checked my  J C Bach symphonies and it isn't one of those.

Anyway, short movements, little development, small orchestra - oboes and bassoons, no other woodwind. So we can narrow it down, I would have thought, to early "classical" - 1760/1770. Dozens of composers were writing symphonies like that back then........could be: early Haydn (does anyone know them all?), Michael Haydn, early Mozart, Stamitz, Dittersdorf.......

I will do some more checking and see if I can find anything. Very interesting.....

Stamitz crossed my mind, too. Perhaps Salieri, Christian Cannabich, Anton Fils?

Plum

If only someone with more knowledge could join the debate.........Someone with a massive CD collection, for instance, and an encyclopedic knowledge of every genre........Hmmmm. If only.......

The extended "Beethovenesque" coda makes me think it's post-1800 rather than early classicism. But it's very hard to determine because of the terrible recording too. Ries, Weber, Spohr, Benda?

Can someone determine the key of the piece or would that be that pure guesswork because of the wonky recording?

You could be right, 50m. But it still sounds like a very small orchestra for post-1800. I couldn't hear any brass (though that might be the recording), but I am fairly sure there is no flute or clarinet. The early bassoon-flute interplay sounds like a baroque hangover........

If could be non-symphonic, of course. It has the thrusting excitment of a Mozartian overture.......

I would try eBay. Set a minimum reserve price that you would be pleased with.

You will however have to itemize: inventory, condition, record label, etc.

But this would eliminate the middle man. eBay is seen by the world. Someone out there will probably be interested in having an instant, impressive CD library.

By the way 1200 classical CDs is indeed impressive. I was recently delighted to acquire my 50th classical album on iTunes, a number which now seems really rather meager.

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018