How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

Parla,

I hope this may be helpful.

I've noticed for some time that you regularly use the word 'may' in the wrong way.

It is very confusing but if you write "you may listen to (say) Richter", it means to most readers something like "you are allowed to listen....". That's not what you mean, I think. I believe you mean "you might like to listen to Richter".  

On the other hand if I say "I may listen to Richter this morning", it does mean that perhaps I might do so!

Ridiculous language English isn't it! But that's how it is: perhaps Mark can explain the reason!

Perhaps there's a similar problem with "not supposed to".  I think that here you mean "cannot be expected to".

Hope you find this helpful. If not, just ignore it!

Chris

Chris A.Gnostic

Chris, thanks for improving my English.

As for "may", actually I meant something along the lines of you are "allowed to" listen this or that from sources I disapprove, like Youtube etc.

Anyway, thanks again.

Parla

Curious how a discussion about selling LPs turns into a debate about whether or not to have children?

Firs could I say I prefer the term 'child-free' rather than childless when applied to those who have taken the decision NOT to procreate.

My wife and I are two such, having taken the conscious decision to abstain. And there are so many who regard us as selfish. Well, that's their privilege.

Ruref

Curious how a discussion about selling LPs turns into a debate about whether or not to have children?

First could I say I prefer the term 'child-free' rather than childless when applied to those who have taken the decision NOT to procreate.

My wife and I are two such, having taken the conscious decision to abstain. And there are so many who regard us as selfish. Well, that's their privilege.

Ruref

We buy classical music Cd collections and are based in London too - will email you

For your average popular Chandos / Naxos /DG CD we pay £1 but can pay more for rarities /box sets etc

Dear Timkil,

Dear Timkil,

did you ever find a way to sell your CDs?

How to sell a collection of 1,200 classical music CDs

I would suggest that you first post the collection as a whole on E-Bay and any other similar site in the U.K. (I don't live there so I'm not sure what's available, but htere are many smaller, national online resellers). Decide what the minimum you would be willing to accept for it is and add 10% or so. You have to be prepared for a very small return. That's the sad truth. Then I would try subdividing it by category or major performer (e.g., you might have thirty Callas c.d.s). It is very time consuming to enter every c.d. individually, but at the right site you will get pretty far by using the UPC. Also be willing to trade.

Be patient. Some of us still prefer the convenience (yes, for me it is more convenient to find a c.d. on my shelf and put it in my player than to have to turn to an computer or tablet and find the music on a hard drive or NAS; the booklet is also there and I also don't need a device to read that) of c.d.s. If I lived in the U.K. I would make you an offer.

Are you still buying cds?

Anyone interested in very large collection of cd's?

Classical Music Collector UK

Classical Music Collector UK wrote:

We buy classical music Cd collections and are based in London too - will email you

For your average popular Chandos / Naxos /DG CD we pay £1 but can pay more for rarities /box sets etc

Are you still interested in buying cds?

CDs

Are you interested in buying an opera collection of cds - single cds/box sets/some rare?  All to collect from Muswell Hill.  What information would you need?

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018