Liszt 200 - how was it for you?

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Liszt 200 - how was it for you?

I really enjoyed all these exchanges between the author of the thread and Kev.

If I am allowed, since you move further than Liszt (which, though my huge admiration for his abilities, I'm not convinced of his complete compositional skills), I wish to recommend something "new" to listen to:

A new revelation to me was a kind of Liszt's "product" named Unspruch, a totally forgotten composer, whom the German label Genuin has brought very recently back to life with a double CD devoted to his piano music. The same label brought to light the Piano music of another overlooked French composer, namely Vincent d'Indy, in three separate discs.

Karlowicz and the more recent Bacewitz are two significant Polish composers, worthy of any attention possible.

Going back to my beloved "classical" (pre or post as well) period, if you appreciate the keyboard music of D. Scarlatti, explore the pianistic work of Soler, Galuppi, Clementi or Czerny. They are gems of music-writing for the keyboard, even when they are played on modern pianos.

Finally, indulge in the vast output of any great "well known" composer; you may find incredible pieces you were never aware of or you never thought they may were that great (some chamber and choral/vocal works of Mozart or Beethoven or Schubert, etc.).

Parla

Thanks parla.  Bacewitz is the only composer not appearing on Spotify, so I'll park him for now.  My listening plan for the next few days then:

Alkan  12 Etudes op35/Marc-Andre Hamelin/Music & Arts because it's naupilus' new passion.

Urspruch  Complete Works/Ana-Marija Markovina/Genuin because he was a Liszt favourite.

Busoni  Piano Concerto/John Ogden/EMI 1989 Digital Remaster because it's controversial.

New music I have to listen to 2/3 times before I can digest it so I'll report back later.

By the way, Bacewitz is a contemporary female composer.

Grasping this opportunity, please kindly note that, in German label Gramola, there are two great recordings of Piano music of the father (the great) Ignaz Pleyel and the son Pleyel (Camille). It was a revelation to me, particularly the very exciting recording of the works of the very gifted son, since the father has already a reputation (and a whole new concert hall in France) of hiw own.

Parla

Yes, Karlowicz has come up before under the "lesser known composers" post which would seem to be where this thread has headed and should be redirected.

Kev wrote of the following quotation about Busoni "a titanic pianist, intrepid conductor and a first rate musical thinker Busoni remains isolated and enigmatic as a composer"

Well perhaps not surprising that he remains isolated as a composer. Best of luck with his overlong piano concerto (tell us what you think of it). At least it is just about listenable to unlike his Fantasia Contrapuntistica which John Ogdon again heroically hammers his way through.

33lp wrote:

Yes, Karlowicz has come up before under the "lesser known composers" post which would seem to be where this thread has headed and should be redirected.

I would like to adhere to forum protocol so will continue there.

Duly resurrected........

Duly resurrected........

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, Jane. That was very kind and generous of you. This thread was very interesting and useful indeed.

Parla

Busoni

I shall get a recording of Busoni's 2 pf / 8 hands transcription of Mendelssohn's Symphony #1, one of my favorite orchestral works.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Intriguing digression...

Whenever you get it, Tjh, let us know the details of this extraordinary transcription. I have only the arrangement for piano 4 hands, but, apparently, you are not interested in this one.

Parla

Mendelssohn 1

I think this arrangement is in need of a world premiere recording. From the score, the main line of the opening measures is taken up mostly by piano I primo.

Not sure about the 4 hand version. May need to ask for a refund.

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019