Musicians 250 Greatest Recordings

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Musicians 250 Greatest Recordings

I enjoyed this but the list does seem a little random without the context of who chose what, and why.  It would have perhaps more interesting to have each musician's list instead of just the 4 actually published - thus revealing something about their personalities.  This was the subject of Rob Cowan's intro essay after all.

All in all another good issue and athe revamp is a definite improvement for me.

AVL

RE: Musicians 250 Greatest Recordings

A pretty odd list, in many ways. Columns of votes for Mahler, Mozart and Strauss. But just one work by Handel and one work by Sibelius? A bravo, however, to Hilary Hahn for choosing a disc of Heifetz's priceless 1930 recordings of Wieniawski, Saint-Saëns and Vieuxtemps.

H. Collier

I can't see any recording dates, which makes some of the choices difficult to identity - especially when ensemble names are given incorrectly.

How can there not be a recording of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue?  Earl Wild's recording is absolutely magnificent.  There is also the stunning recording with Leonard Bernstein conducting.  Andre Previn's recording is also excellent. The list includes Muhly, Nancarrow, Norgard, Mantovani, Morricone, Part, Rautavaara...but no Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue!  Amazing.

A dusty dreadful list, of considerable knee-jerking. About 90% have no clue. It's not even close for about half of them. And in saying this, I don't have to go too far with my own preferences and biases.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. From my experiences conversing with musicians, this is pretty much a normal take on how they see the earth spinning.

Scary.

Hi

As much as it was interesting to read the 250 greatest recordings, as selected by musicians, I was wondering if Gramophone as ever given any consideration to a list compiled by record retailers. Some of us have been involved in the industry for many many years and spend our entire day listening to music. We are not influenced by record label, artists or country of origin.

Just a thought.

Mel Moratti

Marbecks Classical

Auckland, New Zealand

Mel Moratti

avl06 wrote:

I enjoyed this but the list does seem a little random without the context of who chose what, and why.  It would have perhaps more interesting to have each musician's list instead of just the 4 actually published - thus revealing something about their personalities.  This was the subject of Rob Cowan's intro essay after all.

I'm sure you've seen this already, but I've since put a list of some of the artists' choices online.

Editor and Publisher, Gramophone

Certainly a rather odd list: I seem to recall I had more in common (or more recordings in my collection) from the readers' votes of their greatest recordings of the century published around the millenium. I tried to find it (unsuccessfully) on the archive and the Acrobat/pdf reader facility seems to have disappeared from the archive.

I don't know how many people who write in this forum are professional musicians, but I'm an amateur musician, and the experience of playing music is very different from listening to it for me. Watching Daniel Barenboim give a wonderful masterclass on Beethoven's Opus 109, confirmed something that I've always thought, namely that for a truly great musician the experience of playing this music is something that most of us couldn't begin to understand, however involved we are when we listen. I say this because a lot of contributors seem to be surprised that the recordings musicians chose as great don't seem to meet with general listeners consensus. I don't understand why people are surprised, I wouldn't have expected anything different. More importantly though, I don't understand why anybody cares what they or others think. If everybody thought my favourite recording was a piece of trash, it wouldn't stop me from enjoying it for one moment. All of this just highlights for me the whole pointlessness of these lists in the first place, and that music is meant to be listened to primarily, not talked about. 

Only westonjm was surprised.

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019