Currentzis - Don Giovanni

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
janeeliotgardiner wrote:

janeeliotgardiner wrote:

 

parla wrote:

 

Although I sense this newcomer might be a Brodsky-style poster, he has a point as for the quality of singers in this new Don Giovanni, particularly for the title role.........

 

 

You seem to have listed everyone apart from the one in this Currentzis recording! (And quite a mixed bunch, by the way...........)

Perhaps you need to live with the recording a bit longer, Parla. As you usually take delivery of 120 CDs per month, it can't be easy finding enough time to really appreciate a single work - especially when your tastes are somewhat wedded to the virtues of the "golden era". Give it more time and a few more listens before forming such a firm judgement.

 

 

 

 

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Time will tell?..

On the contrary, I mentioned first Mr. Tiliakos contribution to the role. He is a fine singer, more specilised in Verdi, but not ready for Mozart. He has a good voice, not that special though), but he fails to go to the depth of the various aspects of this most demanding and pivotal role.

I only mentioned some of the great singers who managed to reach a certain (and in some cases) great degree of authority, performing and recording Don Giovanni. I omitted significant singers, who, for various reasons: Thomas Hampson for not going that deeply and trying to convince us with his beautiful voice. Sherill Milnes, a great voice but out of Mozartian proportion. Fischer-Dieskau for the other way round and quite a few great Italian Opera singers failing to sound Mozartian (Gobbi, Taddei etc.).

Agin, I wish to reiterate that I believe that a heavier voice of a Bass-baritone (or even a flexible lighter Bass) can serve the role better. However, even for a Baritone, I cannot find Tiliakos as the one to capture the role as good as it can get. Besides, the problem lies with some other singers (Donna Anna, Zerlina and, to some extent even Donna Elvira of the more seasoned Gauvin).

Finally, you rather foolishly assume that I reject this recording because I had limited listening of it. The whole thing is a bizarre shock, which can be accepted as an authoritative reading only if one ignores what he/she knew about the work and its performances. Unless we consider all the others have been wrong...

Parla

 

He's at it again........

parla wrote:

Finally, you rather foolishly assume that I reject this recording because I had limited listening of it........

No need to be so insulting, Parla - I thought you we had moved away from that. "Foolish" is rather strong, in the circumstances. You could simply have said I was mistaken.

As it happens, I thought it was a reasonable supposition, given (a) the limited time you must surely devote to each of the 120 CDs which arrives on your doormat once a month; (b) the fact you do not like it or rate it all that highly; (c) the fact that you have limited respect for Currenzis based on previous recordings; and (d) the fact that the recording has not been out very long. All of these point towards the likely conclusion that you have not listened to this recording very much in the few weeks it has been available. To have played it over and over again, as I have, makes little sense in the circumstances. 

janeeliotgardiner wrote:

janeeliotgardiner wrote:

 

parla wrote:
Finally, you rather foolishly assume that I reject this recording because I had limited listening of it........

 

If you say so, Parla. You know best.......

Hey! What's happened to the

Hey! What's happened to the "edit" button? Is it gone, or am I missing something?

It's gone...

Yes, the "edit" button is gone, for reasons that only the estemed publication knows. That's why I could not edit my previous post.

Let's hope it will come back...sometime soon.

Parla

Great if not best don giovanni

I completely agree with this marvelous recording. All tha old warhorses seem oldfashioned and terribly lump compared to this exciting performance. Singers are more than adequate. Guilini klemperer jacobs krips ostman gardiner can all go home. They are ok but this is another level of musicmaking. This is how Mozart nowadays should sound. Much better than nozze and cosi by currentzis. They are also ok but after ren complete listens i can say this is the top in Mozart opera performance. 

Authority and truth in a brave new world.

The key word in your post, Meppo, is this "nowadays". Yes, perhaps, Mozart should sound like that from now on, if, of course, any other musician/singer/orchestra/institution etc. can follow his rebellious path. In any case, all those conductors, musicians, singers, producers etc. have been wrong all these years.
The other intresting thing in your post is the fact that you accept that the singers are simply "more than adequate". That is a true success story for Currentzis, who hates mediocrity...but he can serve it as part of the "truth".

Someone compared him with Glenn Gould ("he is the conducting equivalent of Glenn Gould morphed with Kurt Cobain"!). Good luck!

Parla

It seems that I must take the bait

What I can't understand, is why some people feel so very offended, just because I posted my opinion. Ok, it may have been a blunt opinion but I didn't post it in order to caress your ears. 

 

As for first rate recordings, I think the best has already been mentioned by Parla, that is, Giulini-Wächter. If some of you give me the right to express my opinion, then I may add that I also consider first rate recordings, Böhm-Dieskau, Leinsdord-Siepi, Marriner-Allen etc. Now... do I have to apologise for my preferences?

 

Moreover, I'd like to add that some people are demanding without having the right to be so. The fact that I posted my opinion, doesn't mean that I have to spend my free time, watching the forum so as to explain myself or apologise. 

 

Is it not true that today we lack real artists? What to you think has happened? Maybe the good genes have disappeared from mankind? No. It's not that. It's just that nowadays artists don't care about quality. That's my opinion. They see opera as another means of getting famous and possibly rich!

 

Furthermore, in the past most artists knew what opera is before they even started their training as singers. Nowadays, to most young people under 18, classical music is not their primary music interest and in many cases they start their training just because someone told them that they have a nice voice and they could try the "opera thing"! 

 

What is more, the star system is so very much involved in opera. That is the reason why, the opera houses have many demands from singers to the detriment of superb singing. 

 

Take for instance, body weight. Deborah Voigt, If I am right, said once that they told her that due to her body weight she was not fit for a role and her contract was cancelled! Meaning, that voice and acting nowadays are not top priorities!

 

What would you prefer? A fat Callas or one of today's slender gorgeous beauties? Ok, if someone has the gift of being simultaneously beautiful and great artist, that's great! But I think that artists should care more about their art and less about the rest.

 

Nevertheless, it is incomprehensible to me, why some people are at arms defending this recording? I wonder...

 

The truth is and I admit it, that now I have taken the bait, apologising for my opinion! Silly me!

[quote=tobias tobias]

[quote=tobias tobias]

What I can't understand, is why some people feel so very offended, just because I posted my opinion......../quote]

You must be paranoid. Who is offended?  

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019