Gramophone's 2013 Recordings of the Year

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Replying to James re Recording of the Year nominations

c hris johnson wrote:

OK, Thanks for the clarification!

Another one from me, under 'Opera': Jonas Kaufmann's Wagner recital: superb Wagner singing with so much promise for future complete recordings.

Chris

Chris, I have never really paid much attention to the Record of the Year polls etc, though Critics' Choice used to be fairly interesting in the days of Blyth and Steane.

However, I'd second you choice of the Kaufmann. It's a very considerable achievement indeed and one he more than lived up to when I saw him recently at the RFH in recital and at the ROH in Don Carlo. The man is a truly great singer (and actor) already, and the prospect of future recordings is, as you say, a mouth-watering one.

JKH

JKH

RE: Opera category recommendation

I've been after that Jacob's set for a while, Flutefan, but it is still quite pricey.......

I was also a bit annoyed to read that the orchestration isn't by Mozart!!! Someone - not sure who - re-orchestrated it in the style of the "mature" Mozart in 1796. Whatever the merits of the performance, I think that would always put me off. Even though he was still quite young when he wrote it, I just don't like the idea of adulterating his work in this way. He was, after all, the greatest orchestrator of all time - along with Berlioz and one or two others....... 

RE: Replying to James re Recording of the Year nominations

Hi Jane,

I must say I rather hope Kaufmann will not try to go for the very heavy Wagner roles; Siegmund, Lohengrin and Walther (possibly Parsifal) suit his voice perfectly, like Botha and Konya. Their voices survived well singing these roles. Vickers too, until he took on Tristan (imo). Siegfried and Tristan are another matter and the temptation must be great, not least because so few singers are up to those roles. But I hope he will resist and desist!

Chris

Chris A.Gnostic

Choral

Thinking more about the categories:
Recording Awards:
Recital, Baroque Instrumental, Baroque Vocal, Chamber, Choral, Concerto, Solo Vocal, Contemporary, DVD, Documentary, DVD Performance, Orchestral, Early Music, Opera, Historic, Instrumental, Special Historic Award

Special Awards:
Artist of the Year, Lifetime Achievement, The Piano Award, Label of the Year, Young Artist of the Year

I would have to recommend my favourite choral group The Sixteen - I love their latest album The Queen of Heaven which was released at the end of April. I have seen them live several times, and it is always unforgettable, and it was fascinating to hear Harry Christophers discussing the new version of Allegri's Miserere and to see it performed. I am listening to it now and it is delightful.

RE: Gramophone's 2013 Recordings of the Year

Hi FluteFan
The new choral recording which I've been enjoying most this year has been the Hyperion recording of Britten's Saint Nicolas and Ceremony of Carols with Stephen Layton and the Trinity College Choir.
It would have my vote. The range and breadth of Britten's music never ceases to amaze.
Graham

Flutefan
I think recordings with a UK release date from June 2012 to May 2013 qualify for the process, regardless of when the actual music was recorded. I'm sure that Britten recording's release wasn't so long back. Anyhow, its a lovely performace and recording, typical of the label and the musicians.
I know some of the regular contributors to this forum don't like the notion of awards, categories, acceptance speeches, etc, which is fair enough if that is your view, but, regardless of all that, it would be intersting to know which new recordings over the last year or so the guys have enjoyed the most. You must have bought a few, Parla? Which are you most pleased with and why? The discussion may enourage others to try them out.
Graham

Thanks, Graham, for the "invitation", but, as you correctly suggested, I am against all these ideas of "awards" etc. So, I cannot posibly take part in any sort of "playing with the rules of this game".

Since I buy an extensive range of new releases, I would simply mention few of my purchases of the "year" in question. There is no reason to justify why I bought them, how I "enjoy" them or why they are great.

- Mendelssohn : Elijah - McCreesh, on Signum.

- Beethoven : String Quartets Nos 3, 5 & 16 - Hagen Quartet, on Myrios (SACD).

- J.S. Bach : Double and Triple Concertos - Rachel Podger, on Channel (SACD).

- Myslivecek : Medonte - L' Arte del Mondo - W. Erhardt, on DHM.

- Poulenc : Stabat Mater/ Les Biches - S. Deneve, on Hanssler.

- Frescobaldi : Toccatas & Partitas - F. Bonizzoni, on Glossa.

- Mozart : Violin Sonatas - L. Vogt, C. Tetzlaff, on Ondine.

That little for those interested to explore further.

Parla

The new recording I have enjoyed most this year is, without hesitation, Mercadante's opera 'I Due Figaro', conducted by Riccardo Muti.

Adrian

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019