Karajan 1960s box and remastered editions

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Karajan 1960s box and remastered editions

I've not come across the Galleria double you mention, only separate Galleria CDs of 4+7 and 5+6. (I actually have the 4+7 in a Japanese version). 

If the Japanese CD you have involves a re-coupling of 4 with 5 though then an issue which complicates a comparison of sound quality is that they may have needed to adjust the volume levels of the 2 symphonies to make them match (this is quite common issue for recouplings).

Ted

brahmslikedcoffee wrote:

This is a bit like "Can you tell margarine from butter?" ..... As it cost the princely sum of $NZ 1 I bought it,mainly out of curiosity. Yes, even on my non-high-end equipment and to my non-expert ears it did sound quite considerably better than the Galleria version.

Do New Zealanders always start off the conversation with Butter. I know it is their greatest (well only) export but please! What is 'non high end equipment' in New Zealand and how many sheep does it take to power it. I know New Zealand is upside down on the world map but come on, even the Queenslanders (not known for their culture) have put Karajan's Sibelius in the dunny.

Do New Zealanders always start off the conversation with Butter. I know
it is their greatest (well only) export but please! What is 'non high
end equipment' in New Zealand and how many sheep does it take to power
it. I know New Zealand is upside down on the world map but come on, even
the Queenslanders (not known for their culture) have put Karajan's
Sibelius in the dunny.

Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.                           Friedrich von Schiller.

Stephen, Christchurch, NewZealand

With Herbert Vain Karajan conducting it is probably just a flash bulb going off.

Herbert Vain Karajan only opened his eyes to look in the mirror, he liked to admire the view. But it seems you are being a little protective of the vain one, I thought his inner sanctum of friends wre re-educated in 1945.

If anyone would like to compare their Karajan re-masterings with how the originals might have sounded before they ditched their LPs then check out my site's new feature

www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/vinyl.php

I realise this might be too much of a sugar-rush for some although I find these recordings passionate and vibrant (anything but saccharine). I hope "persons of quality" will not disregard the other wonderful music on the page.

clive heath

"Persons of quality" definitely cannot disregard the other "wonderful music" mentioned in your site. There are some truly beautiful and interesting recordings, indeed. However, Clive, be careful with these expressions such as "persons of quality"; it can be easily misunderstood or misused...

Parla

Karajan re-masterings

"Thing is: I tend to rip all my CDs and then listen wirelessly"

Then it really doesn't matter what remastering you have does it, now? Blue Tooth reduces everything to mediocrity.

garyoke wrote:

garyoke wrote:

"Thing is: I tend to rip all my CDs and then listen wirelessly"

Then it really doesn't matter what remastering you have does it, now? Blue Tooth reduces everything to mediocrity.

Bluetooth is not the same thing as wireless. Bluetooth does indeed limit the quality of the file transmitted, but wireless doesn't..........Have a read on the internet, if you want to know more.

"Wifi" I mean, rather than

"Wifi" I mean, rather than wireless........

Pages

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2018