The collectors' dilemma

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: The collectors' dilemma

parla wrote:

Maybe my "investment" is pathetic but not my collection. Not at all, Mr. Troyen. It's an archive of almost anything (available or not) a musician, collector, scholar etc. might wish to have access to.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve any response. Keep it for yourself.

If you "don't believe me", it's your business. I cannot and you cannot prove anything in this forum. However, if I claim I collect for some decades all the possible CDs and, more recently SACDs, I'm supposed to have several recordings from Glydebourne (including The Rake's Progress) as well.

Let's stop here. Enough is enough, Troyen.

Parla

 

Rhetorical question: Then why didn't you say so earlier?

Strange, I thought that enough is enough is something I would never read from you.

This should be encouraged!

 

RE: The collectors' dilemma

parla wrote:

The way you present my statement looks like a clear contradiction, but if you read it carefully, I said the key phrase "what I know". Besides, the context was on the importance of the voices in Opera, so I tried to underscore what I was taught to that effect. While I don't contest the multi-faceted nature of Opera, I believe that there are certain aspects of it that count more than others (voices, orchestra, conductor, venue). Practice has indicated that great voices could save a performance more than any other aspect.

As for the first paragraph, those who don't agree will call my statement an "opinion", while those who agree they might easily claim that's the truth. However, for your info, I haven't heard any musician of any kind (soloist, conductor), producer or scholar to state that there is a "perfect" performance. Even the reviewers in the magazines we know, they refer to "benchmark" or definitive (so far) recordings, but not for the perfect ones. If we consider that the magazines claim their own "benchmark" recordings, which, normally, does not coincide with the others, we realise the relativity of the perfect performance. Besides, how can you prove a performance is perfect, particularly in musical terms?

When, once, I asked an unsung hero Asian pianist, who practised for about half an hour a passage of one bar of Mozart's Piano Sonata in a minor, whether she was looking for perfection, she answered: If there was a perfection in performing a classical music work, that would mean the end of music. I'm just trying to justify my performance!..

Parla

Wow! Two distinct stages of the Parla Song and Dance routine in one post! The 'you misunderstood me' stage AND the 'wise old professor told me' routine. You're moving faster these days, which is welcome because we've heard it all before umpteen times and anyway, what you said is all there in black and white. You can dance til you drop, most of us have already formed our opinions on you and your posts.

Could I now ask you to move on or limit yourself to the topic at hand? You've got a knack of turning good threads into circular discussions of your much-ridden hobby horses. This has been a good discussion. We don't want it to go the way of the Days of Future Past thread.

RE: The collectors' dilemma

"Song and Dance routine", "knack", "much-ridden hobby horses"...

I'm not so sure who has which knack about which much-ridden hobby horses, following or inventing a specific routine (Days of Past Future).

In my first posts, I "limit myself" to the topic at hand. I guess it was not only because of me, if the thread has been...expanded.

Anyway, collecting CDs is quite a subject. Let's stick to that (if we can).

Parla

RE: The collectors' dilemma

parla wrote:

"Song and Dance routine", "knack", "much-ridden hobby horses"...

I'm not so sure who has which knack about which much-ridden hobby horses, following or inventing a specific routine (Days of Past Future).

In my first posts, I "limit myself" to the topic at hand. I guess it was not only because of me, if the thread has been...expanded.

Anyway, collecting CDs is quite a subject. Let's stick to that (if we can).

Parla

And I thought for one brief moment that you had learned when to give up.

How wrong I was but one can only hope that one day when your are not whizzing around the planet discussing music and organising discussions and concerts with eminent people(yawn) you will review your posts, the responses they provoke and understand why.

Go on, you know you can.

 

 

RE: The collectors' dilemma

JAH wrote:

No one I know shares my tastes. No one would want my collection. How utterly tragic that my discs of Aho, Pettersson, Bentzon, Schnittke, etc will be ... no, it's too sad for words.

I got a smile out of that. In the days when I used to buy cds from shops (as opposed to online) it used to amaze me to note a new recording of some obscure composer on the shelves, come back a week later to buy it, only to find it had gone. Eerie to think that out there, not too far distant, somebody else wanted to listen to the same stuff as me. Over a 30-odd year working career I could count on one hand the number of people I met with any kind of real interest in classical music.

RE: The collectors' dilemma
parla wrote:

"Song and Dance routine", "knack", "much-ridden hobby horses"...

I'm not so sure who has which knack about which much-ridden hobby horses, following or inventing a specific routine (Days of Past Future).

In my first posts, I "limit myself" to the topic at hand. I guess it was not only because of me, if the thread has been...expanded.

Anyway, collecting CDs is quite a subject. Let's stick to that (if we can).

Parla

RE: The collectors' dilemma

JAH wrote:

Well, I didn't mean to ruin anyone's day, but the issue of 'what happens after ...' is a moot point when you don't have anyone on whom to bestow your collection. I am in this position. No one I know shares my tastes. No one would want my collection. How utterly tragic that my discs of Aho, Pettersson, Bentzon, Schnittke, etc will be ... no, it's too sad for words.

Buy, hey, let's brighten up here. I am a happy collector, and have many happy times ahead, even if it is in solitude.

Now, actually getting that solitude is another kettle of fish. And the issue of what do you do if you want to play Schnittke 5 knowing you are going to antagonise could be the subject of another thread. 

 

 

To paraphrase Brian's mother in 'Life ofBrian'; "Schnittke, whats that? Next time you come you can keep your Schnittke."

It's a long time since I heard any Aho but it matters not as you can post them all, except Schnittke, to me where, if I haven't got them already they will be greeted like long lost relatives.

RE: The collectors' dilemma

And now for something completely different ...

Does anyone know a woman who collects classical cds as avidly as we do? (I'm assuming you're all men, of course - correct me if I'm wrong)

 

RE: The collectors' dilemma

Not in my lifetime. Unfortunately, women are wiser than we are and they channel their passion in more substantive matters like family, children, sometimes making good money and some more productive activities.

Some of the men, like us in this forum, prefer to resort to some more intellectual, cultural and other "holy grail" activities, like avidly collecting CDs, paintings, stamps, etc. I'm extremely happy my wife doesn't follow my passion and I wouldn't mind if my new son decides to follow his mother's path instead of mine.

However, there are plenty of wonderful female musicians, even composers, artists, directors and producers, something which is more positive and productive.

Parla

RE: The collectors' dilemma

So, it's not a matter of sexism, Troyen. It's a fact of life. And I don't think they are wrong. Possibly, we are.

For the audiophile issue, things are even worse. I haven't met a single woman to be interested in contemplating to receive, even as a gift, a hi-fi system. If, out of courtesy, they accept it, they will probably never properly use it.

Parla

Pages

Log in or register to post comments

Gramophone Subscriptions

From£67/year

Gramophone Print

Gramophone Print

no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Reviews

Gramophone Reviews

no Print Edition
no Digital Edition
no Digital Archive
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe
From£67/year

Gramophone Digital Edition

Gramophone Digital Edition

no Print Edition
no Reviews Database
no Events & Offers
From£67/year
Subscribe

If you are a library, university or other organisation that would be interested in an institutional subscription to Gramophone please click here for further information.

© MA Business and Leisure Ltd. 2019